Basil Walnut Pesto Chicken Bake
by Experience Momentum Nutrition
Follow us on Instagram for more great recipes and updates posted by our Registered Dietitian Nutritionists: @experiencemomentumnutrition
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 thin cut chicken breasts (organic optional)
- 1 bunch asparagus or 1/2 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/2 pint baby tomatoes, halved
- Optional: sprinkle of mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Arrange chicken breasts in a baking dish side by side without overlapping. Spread a thin layer of pesto over each.
- Arrange the asparagus or green beans on top of the chicken down the middle of the pan. Sprinkle the baby tomatoes around the border of the pan, and spread any leftover pesto over the top. Sprinkle cheese over the dish (optional).
- Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes. Check to make sure chicken is cooked adequately, then remove the foil and broil on high for about 6 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown and bubble.
RD Tip: For a shortcut, you can buy pre-made pesto at the store instead of making it from scratch. Look for dairy-free pesto options if needed at your local health foods store.
Click Here to return to Recipes Page.
Want more? Request a 15-minute FREE Nutrition Goal Assessment to learn more about how nutrition doesn't have to be the hardest part about your day. With appointment packs, single Q&A sessions, body composition, and grocery store tours services, we will be able to help you become proficient at creating the best balance for your lifestyle.