Pecan Roasted Beet Dip with Sage
by Experience Momentum Nutrition
Follow us on Instagram for more great recipes and updates posted by our Registered Dietitian Nutritionists: @experiencemomentumnutrition
1 pound red beets
1 large shallot, divided
1 clove garlic, peeled
½ cup raw pecans
½ cup water
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 sage leaves
Salt to taste
Ingredients for topping:
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp sliced shallot
3 sage leaves
¼ cup raw pecans
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim the ends of the beets and peel. Cut the beets roughly into 1 inch pieces and place on a roasting pan.
2) Peel the shallot and cut into large pieces, reserving a small portion for the topping. Place in the roasting pan along with the clove of garlic.
3) Toss everything on roasting pan with 2 Tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt.
4) Roast until the beets are tender, stirring occasionally, for about 35-45 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
5) While the beets are roasting, cover the pecans with water and let soak.
6) When the beets are slightly cool, place the pecans and ½ cups of water in a blender. Puree until the pecans begin to break down. Add in the beets, balsamic vinegar, and sage. Puree, adding more water if needed, until the dip is smooth and there are no pieces of beets and pecans left. Add a pinch of salt, taste, and add more as needed.
7) Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and sauté for a couple minutes, just until fragrant. Move the shallots to one side and add the sage leaves to the pan. Continue to cook the shallot and fry the sage leaves.
8) Remove the sage leaves once fried and remove the pan from the heat. Add in the pecan pieces and swirl to lightly toast the pecans in the hot oil.
9) Transfer the dip to a bowl and spoon the pecans/shallots/oil mixture over the top. Crush the fried sage and serve with your favorite sides!
Serving size: 4
RD Tip: Here are some ideas to eat the dip with: crackers, toasted bread, vegetables or on top of a salad!
Click Here to return to Recipes Page.
Want more? Request a 15-minute FREE Nutrition Goal Assessment to learn more about how nutrition doesn't have to be the hardest part about your day. With appointment packs, single Q&A sessions, body composition, and grocery store tours services, we will be able to help you become proficient at creating the best balance for your lifestyle.