Pesto Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
by Experience Momentum Nutrition
Follow us on Instagram for more great recipes and updates posted by our Registered Dietitian Nutritionists: @experiencemomentumnutrition
1 lb. brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and sliced in half
3 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 lb. (16 ounces) pasta
4 chicken sausage links (Trader Joe’s has great ones)
5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1/3 cup pesto
Parmesan cheese for serving
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl mix together brussels sprouts, 2 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Gently stir until well combined.
2) Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread the brussels sprouts on it evenly. Roast for about 20-30 minutes, stirring part way through, or until they are slightly crispy on the outside. Remove from oven and set aside.
3) Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until nearly-browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and the sausage is browned.
4) Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Once the pasta is cooked, drain the water (save ¼ cup), and then toss the pasta with pesto, cooked sausage, garlic and brussels sprouts.
5) Add in some of the remaining pasta water if needed for extra moisture.
6) Serve warm and sprinkle with parmesan cheese!
Serving size: 4-6
RD Tip: If you are vegetarian and/or vegan, feel free to make this dish without the chicken sausage and parmesan cheese! This dish is great to use the next day for leftovers as well.
Click Here to return to Recipes Page.
Want more? Request a 15-minute FREE Nutrition Goal Assessment to learn more about how nutrition doesn't have to be the hardest part about your day. With appointment packs, single Q&A sessions, body composition, and grocery store tours services, we will be able to help you become proficient at creating the best balance for your lifestyle.